- This is a preview of the Business Insider Intelligence Payments Ecosystem premium research report.
- Business Insider Intelligence offers even more e-commerce and payments coverage with our . Subscribe today to receive industry-changing retail news and analysis to your inbox.
In the US, the in-store mobile wallet space is becoming increasingly crowded. Most customers have an option provided by their smartphone vendor, like Apple, Android, or Samsung Pay. But those are often supplemented by a myriad of options from other players, ranging from tech firms like PayPal, to banks and card issuers, to major retailers and restaurants.
With that proliferation of options, one would expect to see a surge in adoption. But that's not the case — though Business Insider Intelligence projects that US in-store mobile payments volume will quintuple in the next five years, usage is consistently lagging below expectations, with estimates for 2019 falling far below what we expected just two years ago.
As such, despite promising factors driving gains, including the normalization of NFC technology and improved incentive programs to encourage adoption and engagement, it's important for wallet providers and groups trying to break into the space to address the problems still holding mobile wallets back. These issues include customer satisfaction with current payment methods, limited repeat purchasing, and consumer confusion stemming from fragmentation.
Some of the top mobile payment wallets include: Android Pay, Apple Pay, Microsoft wallet, Samsung pay, Wisa VDCA, Mastercard Masterpass, PayPal, Square, Venmo, as well as individual banks apps and retail merchant wallets.
2020欧洲杯小组赛Payment companies mentioned in this report include: ACI Worldwide, Adyen, Amazon, American Express, Apple, Bank of America, Braintree, Bento for Business, Capital One, Citi, Diebold Nixdorf, Discover, Earthport, Elavon, EVO, Facebook, First Data, Fiserv, FIS, Global Payments, Goldman Sachs, Google, Green Dot, Honda, Ingenico, Intuit, JPMorgan Chase, Kabbage, Macy's, Mastercard, MICROS, MoneyGram, NatWest, NICE, NCR, Oracle, Paymentus, PayPal, Rambus, Remitly, Ria, Samsung, SiriusXM, SF Systems, Square, Stripe, Synchrony Financial, The Clearing House, Target, Tipalti, Toast, Transfast, TSYS, Venmo, Verifone, Vocalink, Visa, Walmart, Wells Fargo, WePay, Western Union, Xoom, Zelle
The Payments Ecosystem Report examines the payments ecosystem today, its growth drivers, and where the industry is headed. The report forecasts growth and defines drivers for key digital payment types through 2024, while highlighting three trends that are changing payments – looking at how disparate factors are sparking change across the ecosystem.
Interested in getting the full report? Here's how to get access:
- Business Insider Intelligence analyzes the payments and commerce industry and provides in-depth analyst reports, proprietary forecasts, customizable charts, and more. >> Check if your company has BII Enterprise membership access to the full report
- Sign up for the Payments & Commerce Briefing, Business Insider Intelligence's expert email newsletter keeping you up-to-date on the people, technologies, trends, and companies shaping the future of consumerism, delivered to your inbox 6x a week. >>
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >>